- Run 'gconf-editor'.
- Browse to "/desktop/gnome/interface/can_change_accels" and enable it.
- Browse to "/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_key_theme" and set it to "Emacs".
- Start Evolution and open a new message.
- Hover your mouse over the 'menu items' whose key-bindings interfere with the normal Emacs world bindings (e.g: Print, Copy, Search, ...) and press "Del". This will 'unbind' those shortcuts from those menus.
- Enjoy "Ctrl+N", "Ctrl+P".. etc in the composer.
- Bless me
PS-1: Lately I noticed that the bindings were getting reset every once in a while, randomly. A "chmod u-w ~/.gnome2/accels/evolution" seems to have fixed the problem.
PS-2: This does not work in GNOME Evolution 3.x. Try this instead..